Sunday, November 1, 2009

Feathering the Nest

In my typical spirit of doing research and looking for inspiration before tackling a home renovation/design project, I picked up a book to help me with planning the nursery. Feathering the Nest is a beautifully designed and written book that has already been a source of ideas for the space soon to be occupied by the babe formally known as choo choo.

The colour will be gender neutral (of course) and I want to incorporate chalkboard, either a wall painted with chalkboard paint or have a chalkboard featured somewhere in the room.

I have also been (surprise surprise) researching baby gear, specifically infant seats, baby seats, strollers, baby slings and cloth diapers. I understand that it is highly recommended that one buys a new infant/baby seat as well as a crib and avoid the second hand route... And yes we are going to use cloth diapers.

I have not bought a thing for baby (it was hard enough coming to terms that I require maternity clothes- although it's partly a budget trick; once I buy one item it will be a quick downward spiral to out of control spending). I think I have narrowed down the choices with regard to the seats. I am contemplating the options for baby slings and strollers - or should it be baby sling Or stroller? Dave and I recently watched the timely (for us) movie entitled "Away we go" There is a scene where a radical mom (the fabulous Maggie Gyllenhaal) explains the child rearing philosophy of the Three Ss (no separation, no sugar and no strollers). I know a group of women who are passionate about baby wearing and who rarely if ever use their stroller. This summer Dave had fun spotting all of the men wearing their babies (surprisingly there are many). My neighbour offered to give me a lesson on baby wearing and will let me try out a few options before I select which type will work for me (very cool).

This post was a procrastination post - I must get work done before Monday morning but creating this post was a lot more fun.

No comments: