Saturday, May 9, 2009

waiting for the garden season



I was late getting my tomato seeds planted but I think that's okay given that it's still snowing (okay it's sleet versus snow) and that we'll have a late gardening season this year. I planted my tomato seeds the third of April (san marzano, Manitoba, Italian heirloom and isis candy). I ordered all of my vegetable and flower seeds through Sage Garden Herbs. I've been to their nursery at least twice since they opened in April. The smell of a green house or nursery when you are anxious for warm weather is simply heavenly. I bought a grow light and have converted the upstairs kitchen into a mini garden area. In this picture you can see our tomato plants growing (the small seedlings in the back). The fuller larger plants are what I recently bought at Sage (slow blotting cilantro, super sweet chen basil, madrid blue lavender, julip mint, variegated basil). I also bought a tea tree plant and my goal is to create an infusion with the leaves for different purposes (e.g. natural cleaning product). I also bought lemon verbena, hot and spicy oregano, berggarten sage, purple bush basil and arp rosemary. I have spent some time considering my garden plot for this year and have decided that I will try to plant seeds strategically (i.e. companion planting). This will be topic of a future post.

Dave spent days cleaning the yard. Christoff came over and gave some love to our plum trees. Christoff also dropped off a dump truck load of wood chips (he is an Arborist by trade). I am not sure how I feel about that big pile of tree waste...Dave insists that he'll use it all up in our yard but I am quite skeptical...

No comments: